The Portland Conservatory of Music is pleased to offer unpaid internships to college and high school students. Dates are flexible and the program can be designed to accommodate both the interests of the intern and the needs of the Conservatory.
If you are interested in interning at PCM, please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Internship at PCM” in the subject line.
“Interning at PCM was an invaluable experience for me. I grew personally and professionally, while learning both the fundamentals and nuances of a nonprofit organization. The Conservatory is a welcoming environment, where the faculty and staff are supportive and kind. As part of this internship, I was given the opportunity to work on projects that made a difference, while also learning about the everyday tasks necessary to keep a nonprofit running. I gained experience in marketing, event planning and implementing new programs, as well as communicating with parents, students, and faculty. I was able to see excellent performances by both PCM students and professional musicians, and attended events with the Executive Director. This internship exceeded my expectations in every way and I cannot speak highly enough about my time at the Conservatory” – Olivia Stam, Summer Intern, 2017
Tasks at the PCM internship include, but are not limited to:
- Attending events with the Executive Director
- Assisting in preparation for Board of Directors meetings
- Reaching out to local organizations to promote PCM’s programs
- Writing sponsorship letters to get funding for new programs and events
- Writing press releases for upcoming events and new programs
- Communicating directly with members of the press to showcase PCM events
- Communicating with event photographers
- Developing and implementing ideas for recruiting new students
- Writing letters to recruit potential students
- Designing and updating pages of the PCM website
- Designing logos for new groups and ensembles at PCM
- Creating flyers for upcoming events and new programs
- Developing forms for new programs and updating existing forms
- Contacting local music educators to facilitate a relationship between them and PCM
- Posting on the PCM Facebook Page
- Planning events and schedules for the upcoming semester
- Taking inventory of new music and other resources acquired by the conservatory
- Communicating directly with parents, students and faculty to complete tasks
For more information, please email email@example.com, call 207-775-3356, or visit the Conservatory offices at 202 Woodford St., 3rd Floor, Portland, ME 04103.