The Portland Conservatory of Music (PCM) is proud to be celebrating its 23rd year as a nonprofit community music school, bringing music education and concert performances to the people of Southern Maine.
We are dedicated to enhancing the quality of life through music.
Growth and Opportunity
We have grown significantly in the last several years:
- 78% growth in revenue from increased enrollment
- 300+ students of all ages and abilities taking lessons and performing
- 50 talented faculty on staff teaching 30 instruments
Our goals include:
- Increased financial aid for those who otherwise cannot afford music lessons
- Early Childhood Education Program for children ages newborn to 1 year and pre-schoolers 2-4 years
- Expansion of group classes making music lessons affordable and building community
In addition to our diverse and excellent music lessons, we offer two specialized divisions and lead two children’s choirs:
- Karger College Prep, an intensive program for musically talented high schoolers
- Jazz Studies, an innovative program teaching improvisational skills to both youth and adults
- Boy Singers of Maine, an esteemed organization with a 37-year history now under our leadership
- Girls Singers of Maine, three choirs for girls grades 2 to 12 singing a wide-ranging choral repertoire
Noonday Concert Series
Our free weekly Noonday Concerts, held on Thursdays at the historic First Parish Church and every third Thursday at the Portland Public Library, provide music lovers equal access to quality music.
Portland Press Herald music critic Allan Kozinn described the Noonday concerts as one of PCM’s most broadly useful services.
Festivals and Jazz Concerts
To further our educational mission, we organize two festivals and a jazz concert series:
- Early Music Festival, a celebration of the origins of classical music
- Back Cove Contemporary Music Festival, an innovative exploration of contemporary classical music
- Dimensions in Jazz series, complements our Jazz Studies division, and brings renowned avant-garde jazz musicians to Portland
Our mission is to transform lives through the power of music. Please join us on this musical journey.
Jean Murachanian, Ph.D.